Uniting colonies

• Author

Nicky

Hi there,

In addition to my two very strong colonies I had three small colonies ( a result of swarming).  All three doing ok, but none really robust enough to survive the winter.  I successfully united two of these small colonies last week, and all is well in the hive.  My question is, would it be pushing my luck to add the third small colony to the other larger, but still not tremendously strong, one?  If it would be ok, should I leave it a week or two to let the first “uniting” settle down?

All thoughts gratefully received.

Thanks

Nicky

Profile photo of ThePath
    ThePath
    Keymaster

Hi Nicky,

Welcome to the forum!

Yes you can unite the other small colony to the larger one. Yes I think leaving it a week would be the right thing to do. You dont want to pester the bees too much. So leave them for a week to settle and do the second uniting.

As you have done it already and it was a success Im sure you know what you are doing but here is an info page which may have some more tips for you: http://honeybeekeeping.co.uk/beekeeping-techniques/uniting-bees/

Cheers

Help make this the best beekeeping website!

Nicky

Thanks for the advice.  Just to update you, it worked a treat, and I now have three strong colonies to over-winter smile. They're frantically working the ivy now.

Nicky

Profile photo of ThePath
    ThePath
    Keymaster

Thats great Nicky. I hope you like the new forum. Yet more changes happening to this site.

Help make this the best beekeeping website!
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.